750g meat from a cooked roast leg of lamb or mutton (left from last nights roast)
1 thick slice bread
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1/3 cup Worcester sauce
1 cup gravy, left over from your roast (if you don’t have enough gravy, use beef stock)
1/3 cup water
4 Flavorite tomatoes, sliced
1 swede, small
6 mashing potatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbspn butter
1/3 cup milk
- Roughly chop the leftover roast lamb or mutton and put through a mincer alternately with the carrot and onion.
- When all the meat and vegetables have been through the mincer, finish by mincing the bread (a helpful way of giving the mincer an initial clean).
- Stir the tomato sauce, Worcester sauce, gravy and water through the minced meat.
- Spoon the meat mixture into the base of a heavy casserole dish. It should fill the dish two thirds of the way.
- Arrange the Flavorite tomato slices over the top of the mince mixture.
- Peel the swede and potatoes and chop roughly. Boil together in salted water until tender. Mash with the butter and milk and season to taste.
- Spoon the mash on to the tomato layer, leaving the top rough, rather than smooth.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 150C over for an hour until the ingredients are well heated through and the mash is beginning to brown.
- Variation. Sprinkle the mash with grated cheese before cooking.